Sunday, June 8, 2008

Interview with Scott Monaghan...aka Mr. Pitiful

Chicago, Illinois. Birthplace of the Baby-Back Rib, mass transit and public transportation, and most importantly…jazz. It is here that in 2005 Scott Monaghan decided that it was time to sit down and get serious about his love for music that he had since he was a kid. It was time to perfect his music the way he wanted, and get it the way he wanted it to sound.

                This extravagant "new-jazz" sound that Scott invents and perfects comes from the Soul artist Otis Redding, which is also how he got his name of Mr. Pitiful, coming from the famous song of Redding's that is known by many jazz fans today.

                His feelings on music reflect those that are of every true music fan. The thing he loves most about music, he says, is the way it makes him feel. He says, "It's like nothing else. It takes me to a place where I can't get any other way. I guess you could say I'm a music addict. Maybe I need an intervention."

               Some say that in order to make good music, the music has to have a meaning and a purpose. Music has to have a certain flavor and beat to make it just right for the listener. Scott's songs have this kind of meaning in them, such as in his song "The Wedding Song" because it is a soulful and meaningful song, that at the same time has a catchy slow-tune, that relates directly to him and his life.  "[It] was written for my wife when we got married. I performed it for the first time as a surprise on our wedding day."

                What could one classify this type of music as though? "Some people call it soul, some people call it country, some people call it folk. I just try to write songs that people will like. Classic pop music." That's what makes good music. The fact that you play for your audience and for yourself, and not for a record company just for the money.

                Overall music is about individuality and being different.  What separates on from other artists then is important in today's music business. So what exactly is it that separates Scott from other artists today? "From my point of view, the biggest difference is that I'm me and other artists are someone else.  I see myself from the inside out and other artists from the outside in."

                Look out for Mr. Pitiful's latest record on iTunes, and his website which can be found through his MySpace. 

No comments: